Our Church and its History
There has been a Church of St. Andrew in the village since the twelfth century although the current building dates from 1869 when the Norman church was pulled down as it was deemed too small and in a bad state of repair. It is an interesting building in the Victorian, Gothic Revival and has a wonderfully peaceful atmosphere. There are some celebrated, rare, stained glass windows commissioned from Jeanne-Baptiste Capronnier, from Brussels and a leaflet giving details of these is to be found in the church. There are a set of embroidered Stations of the Cross hanging in the nave, presented by a parishioner and information about them is also available in the church. At the back of the Nave in the base of the bell tower, you can see a beautiful Reredos that was originally behind the Altar. This area is now used to commemorate the Village men who served in the Great War. When this was moved to its new site in 2010, a metal panel was revealed which had been part of the original fittings in the church. At the back of the nave are early photographs of the original church and of the current church when it was newly finished.
The postcode for our church is : DT9 4LR
The maximum seating capacity of our church is 150 people.
Click here for the dates of future services.
St. Andrew’s church is part of the Cam Vale Benefice, a group of six churches, West Camel, Queen Camel, Sparkford, Weston Bamfylde and Sutton Montis, which lies in the Deanery of Bruton and Cary. That in turn comes under the umbrella of the Diocese of Bath and Wells and our Mother Church is Wells Cathedral.
There is a Benefice Office with an Administrator who deals with all the paperwork side of the benefice (see contact details below).
The emphasis is to be part of the community and to build up the congregation, while staying in close contact with other churches within the Benefice. There needs to be continuous awareness of rural life, of problems including those of an ageing population in need of care, and both physical and spiritual loneliness. The authority of Scripture exercised with prayerful understanding is central.
St Andrew’s Church seeks to retain Christian faith, culture and traditions, while looking over a widely extended and broad-minded spiritual scene. It is committed to providing a centre for worship and for spiritual support to all without exclusion.
Click here to read the Blog of Revd. Rose Hoskins
Safeguarding Policy – St Andrew’s, Corton Denham, Parochial Church Council has adopted the House of Bishops’ ‘Promoting a Safer Church: Safeguarding Policy Statement’. A copy of this policy and contact details of the Parish Safeguarding Officer may be found in the church and on the Cam Vale Benefice website.
Our Safeguarding Officer is John Godley firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact our priests:
The Rector – TBA
To contact Our Benefice Administrator:
Mrs Kerry Pike (Tuesdays, Fridays 10:30 am – 2 pm)
Cam Vale Benefice Office, The Old School, Queen Camel, BA22 7NH
Tel: 01963 441595
The Parochial Church Council
The Parochial Church Council (PCC) is the official body dealing with the running of the Church in Corton Denham and is made up of The Rector, (chairman,) up to two Churchwardens and up to six other elected members, who are parishioners in the village and part of our church family. Between them they organise the services, the rota of organists, church cleaners, flower arrangers, key holders and events. They also deal with the maintenance of both the building and the cemetery with the able assistance of several dozens of parishioners.
For PCC matters please contact:
Corton Denham PCC Secretary – c/o Mrs Susanna Thatcher
PCC Data Privacy Notice and Employer’s Liability Insurance Certificate
The Cemetery is a separate Interdenominational Burial Ground, situated on the West of the Village on the opposite hillside and came into use in 1922 on its consecration, when the churchyard was closed for burials.
The Cemetery commands a spectacular view of the village and is planted as a natural meadow with young, native trees. It provides a peaceful and beautiful environment in which to sit and rest. Up until now, cremated remains have been interred beside the wall in the churchyard but recently we have sought permission to designate an area, within the Cemetery for this purpose.
Click here to read more about the history of our churchyard and cemetery.
There is a flourishing Bell Ringing Group who are always looking for new members to ring at our special events. We are fortunate to have a splendid peel of five bells with the oldest marked bell cast in 1694. The bells were salvaged from the old church when it was demolished, and were re-hung in 1869. A stand of five elm trees was planted on the hillside behind the church to mark this event.
Annual Parochial Church Meeting (APCM) 2023